Buyer & Seller Tools
IMPORTANCE OF A REALTOR
Whether selling your home, or looking for a new one, the over 5,100 REALTORS® in Calgary and the surrounding area work together to help you! This REALTOR® network allows them to share information and resources that place you in the best position possible to secure the biggest financial investment most people experience in their lifetime.
Not all licensed or registered brokers and salespeople are REALTORS®. Only real estate licensees who are members of the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA), and subsequently members of CREB®, are REALTORS®. These REALTORS® are committed to a high standard of professional conduct, ongoing education, and to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice (1.6MB PDF). Using the service of a REALTOR® helps in disclosing maximum property information and facts, therefore reducing your risk.
Teaming up with a REALTOR® provides you with invaluable access to professional real estate expertise and knowledge. You benefit because:
- Your representative can help determine your buying power and refer you to lenders best qualified to maximize your loan and minimize your cost.
- Your REALTOR® has full access to all the features of the Multiple Listing Service®, Canada’s most powerful real estate marketing network.
- Your representative provides local community information on utilities, zoning, schools, etc. They can assist you in making the best choice selecting an environment where you and your family can grow.
- Your representative has a finger on the pulse of the housing market and is knowledgeable about developments and trends in real estate; and,
- Your REALTOR® has access to the MLS® System for facts on comparable pricing, neighborhood trends and housing market conditions, data you can use to set your best course of action and maximize your homes resale value when you are ready to sell.
- Your representative can negotiate the best deal. There are myriad negotiating factors, including price, financing, terms, date of possession and often the inclusion or exclusion of repairs, furnishings or equipment. By negotiation alone, you often save more than the cost of their service.
- Your representative assists you in providing due diligence to evaluate the property. This may include inspections for mold, dry rot, asbestos, faulty structure, roof condition, septic tank and well tests, just to name a few. Your representative can assist you in determining what conditions to recommend and assist in finding qualified professionals to investigate and provide report to you.
- Your representative can guide you through the sales process making sure everything flows smoothly from initial offer to closing.
- Your REALTOR® markets your property to other real estate agents and the public. Often REALTORS® will provide guidance on staging or repairs that enhance the salability of your property. Your REALTOR® will harness the power of the MLS® System to expose your property to a large network of qualified buyers as well as coordinate marketing through the most effective array of other advertising media. Only CREB® REALTORS® have access to the marketing exposure of industry publications such as CREB® Real Estate News.
You are protected when you work with a REALTOR® for a number of reasons:
- All REALTORS® are graduates of a real estate education program and are committed to pursuing ongoing professional development courses;
- REALTORS® must adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice, your guarantee of professional conduct and service excellence.
- All REALTORS® carry errors and omissions insurance;
- The Real Estate Assurance Fund is available to you in the rare event of fraud, or breach of trust by a REALTOR®. It is your protection against financial loss. This fund is financially supported by our members; and,
- A licensed brokerage supervises the business conduct of all REALTORS® to ensure their compliance with Alberta law.
PROCESS OF COMPLETING A SALE
For Sale By Owner
If you sell the home yourself, you will get limited exposure by putting up a sign, running some ads, and telling your friends. If you work with a REALTOR®, you will get instant and mass exposure to a large number of prospective home buyers.
A REALTOR® has access to the Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) System. This computerized system operated by the local real estate board, compiles information about listed properties in the area and makes it accessible to member companies. As a result, when a REALTORS® lists your home, REALTORS® from other companies learn about your home and try to match it with buyers with whom they are working.
A REALTOR® can speed the selling process in other ways:
- By specializing in real estate, a REALTOR® knows market values and can therefore help you set a competitive price for your home.
- A REALTOR® can free you from the hassles associated with showing your home and screen out people who are merely curious.
- A REALTOR® is objective when negotiating with buyers and experienced in reading the fine print of contracts.
- By staying on top of the mortgage market, a REALTOR® may know how to wade through financing tangles and clinch a sale.
Selling a home is not something that anyone can do in their off-hours. It’s a specialized service, best handled by a professional REALTOR®.